Welcome to "MY" world of CCM (Contemporary Christian Music). It's basically a place where I can discuss and pay tribute to the music and artists that have influenced me and that I've grown up listening to, and list the albums I own by these artists. I have close to 1,800 albums so it may take me a while to get everything up. Notice it says "CCM"! That includes every genre in Christian music!!! Not just pop, hip-hop, worship, alternative or metal, but all kinds! Enjoy...















Monday, November 15, 2010

Stryper - Soldiers Under Command (1985)


01 Soldiers Under Command 
02 Makes Me Wanna Sing 
03 Together Forever 
04 First Love 
05 The Rock That Makes Me Roll 
06 Reach Out 
07 (Waiting For) A Love That's Real 
08 Together As One 
09 Surrender 
10 Battle Hymn Of The Republic

I can remember the first time I heard these guys...I was in middle school and it was in 1985. Up to this point the heaviest Christian music I had heard was maybe Russ Taff, Michael W. Smith and Amy Grant. I already knew of secular metal bands like Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, Ratt, etc. A television program was coming on one evening called the Dove Awards. It's the Christian version of the Grammy's. Anyways, they said in a pre-showing that they have a band coming up that plays heavy metal but sings for Jesus. I thought "yeah right", but it intrigued me so I decided to watch. Four guys came out with yellow & black spandex, teased hair and make-up, head bangin' and singing the following lyrics..."Jesus, King of Kings. Jesus, makes me wanna sing". I almost fell off the couch. I could not believe there was a band that held the same values I grew up with but performed it in a style that was becoming so popular with middle school and high schoolers in the mid 80's. I was instantly hooked and went out the very next day and bought "Soldiers Under Command" and the rest you could say, is history! They became my all-time favorite band!






Fast forward 25 years later...Stryper is still putting out awesome albums and touring. For more info, the band can be reached at  http://www.stryper.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment